Hakuna Matata

Kenya, with a population of over 43 million, is in the continent of Africa. It lies on the equator. This means it has a stable climate, although temperatures vary according to altitude and terrain. For example, the tropical coast has an average temperture of  between 27 and 31ºC, while other areas have an average temperature of 21ºC. The country has a wide variety of landscapes. The visitor can see snow capped peaks, deserts, beaches, savannah and alpine highlands.

Kenya has many neighbouring countries: Tanzania to the south, Uganda to the west, South Sudan to the north west, Ethiopia to the north and Somalia to the north east. Throughout its history, it has received people from these countries and many others in Africa. As a result of this migration, there are 42 ethnic groups in Kenya and two principal language groups – the Bantu and the Niloti. The official language is English and the national language is Kiswhaili.

Another result of migration is the number of religions there are in Kenya. There are Christians, Hindus, Shils, Islams and of course the traditional beliefs.

The Main Cities are: Nairobi with a population of 5 million. The city was founded by Europeans in 1899 as a supply depot. At that time, the East African railway was under construction. Today, it is the largest and the most modern city in East Africa.  Mombasa is the coastal capital and the largest port on the African coast.  Kisumu, the third biggest, followed by Eldorest and Nakuru.

Kenya has 56 national parks and reserves. It has more species of birds than anywhere in the world.  Many tourists visit these national parks and tourism makes up approximately 20% of the economy, while agriculture the remaining 80%. The currency is the Kenya shilling.

Kenya is an independent republic and its flag is striped green, black and red. The colours represent  the land, the people and the blood that was shed during the country’s struggle for freedom.

Undoubtedly, the most important sport in Kenya is football with two rival teams, AFC Leopards and Gor Mahai.

The people in Kenya, when they are not at football matches, are generally speaking kind and relaxed. The saying hakuna matata, which means no problem, reflects the national attitude.