Here are some fun games to use with your students to get them into action and practise the past tense of irregular verbs.
The very name of this game scares students into playing it! It is a brilliant, high energy game perfect for practising the past tense and very, very communicative!!
- Divide the class into teams.
- Draw stick figures on the board – 3 for each team.
- Brainstorm the past tense of irregular verbs. Ellicit as many exciting action verbs as posible. E.g. break, steal, bleed, catch, fight etc.
- Put the words first, second, third, next, then, after that, finally on the board.
- The first team give a sentence in the past tense starting with the word first.
- The second team continue the story in the past tense with the word second, and so the game continues.
- A team loses a life if they repeat a verb, make a grammar mistake, or take too long in continuing the story.
- The team that loses 3 lives die and become Irregular Ghosts!
Irregular Verb Ball Toss
This is another very energetic game and can be played outside, weather and students permitting!
- Brainstorm irregular verbs. You can write them on the board to help lower level students.
- Divide the class into teams and give each an equal number of verbs and a small ball.
- The student serving gives a verb in the infinitive and the person returning gives the past tense of the verb.
- The first team to give the verbs in the past tense correctly wins.